Sunday, July 13, 2014

Rant Time

It's my blog and I'll rant if I want to!

Now that you have been warned, I am going to rant about one of my many pet peeves.

I see this on Facebook quite often and it drives me crazy.  What is it you ask?

It's the term FML

Do you know what that means?  It means F**k my life!  I should add it took me forever to figure it out....it's not a thought process that crosses my mind, nor language I use often.  I had so many other ideas first

Seriously, if someone had told me when I first saw this acronym that it stood for this, I would have believed it!

Anyway, this rant came about because one of my best friends, challenged me to 5 days of gratitude, where I have to post on Facebook 3 things everyday I am thankful for.  It's not the first time I have done an exercise in gratitude and I think everyone should do it at least once in your life.  It's eye opening and humbling.

Anyway, I see people use this a lot and it bugs me.  We are a society of privilege and wealth.  We have food in our bellies, roofs over our heads, free healthcare, etc.  I mean, I get it....they are trying to say they are having a crappy day and things didn't work out like they planned, they don't really mean their whole life has gone in the crapper...but that IS what they are saying.  Your life could always be worse, even if it doesn't  seem like it at the moment.  Your child is sick and you need to take them to the hospital on a weekend?  Lucky you...you can do that!  You don't have to worry about how you are going to pay for that visit or have to decide if they are THAT sick or can wait a couple of more days until you can take them to your own doctor.  A FML moment should be "oh the sweat shop I work in just blew up, now where am I going to work to bring home my $12 a day?"  Even that situation could be worse...you could have died in that incident.

A little extreme of an example perhaps, but you get my point.  Perhaps a more appropriate term would be  FTD (F**k this day)

So, if you are one of the people who uses this term, please re-consider...start your own lesson in gratitude and for the next 5 days, right down 3 things you are thankful for.

4 comments:

  1. Awesesome Post. Reminds me of that video going around about first world problems spoken from poor people.
    I think I have been guilty of this little accronoym myself.... will definitly think twice before ysing that again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought of the exact same video Bonnie mentioned. Each year I do my 3rd World Experience in the DR with my students it re-grounds me and reminds me that we are very fortunate and that 9 times out of 10 its just a first world problem and we are lucky to have those.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I must be really out of the loop since I've never heard this term before! Good message to keep in mind!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am definitely going to start using FTD. And HOPE that the flower delivery company doesn't come after me! lololol <3 <3 <3

    ILY! <3

    ReplyDelete