Thursday, January 9, 2014

On The Road Again...

I'm singing a little Willie Nelson in my head now as I type this!

My BBFF Julie and I are hitting the road again.  Our last road trip was so much fun that we felt it was worth doing again.  Plus it was excellent motivation and goodness knows I need that.

So, here is the plan for this year.

It all started on January 1 (which means I am already behind, because I haven't done much exercise yet) and will end on Oct. 31.  We both found it to be a bit hectic over the holidays.  The other change is we will only blog once a month about our journey.  For me, I am aiming at the beginning of each month.

Our destination you ask?

We are heading to a couple State Parks again.  We just love camping in the great ol' U.S. of A.

First stop.....

Crowley's Ridge State Park, Arkansas

Atop the forested hills in northeast Arkansas, Crowley's Ridge State Park occupies the former homestead of Benjamin Crowley, whose family first settled this area.  Native log and stone structures constructed by the Civilian Conservation Corps set the mood for the rustic warmth of Crowley's Ridge State Park. The park includes two lakes--one for fishing and the other for swimming.



From there, we head on over to our final destination of Devil's Den State Park, Arkansas

If you put together the perfect state park in your mind, it would be Devil's Den. Nestled in picturesque Lee Creek Valley in the Ozark Mountains, Devil's Den is one of Arkansas's five, original state parks built by the Civilian Conservation Corps in the 1930s. In these beloved parks, the rustic-style facilities mirror the rugged natural beauty that surround them. In the heart of Devil's Den, a rock dam spans Lee Creek forming Lake Devil. This eight-acre lake is a serene setting for fishing, canoeing, kayaking, and pedal boating.






The number breakdown goes as follows:

The distance from my house to Crowley's Ridge is 1399 km.  From Crowley's Ridge to Devil's Den is 325 km, for a grand total of:

1724 km

 

So in order to meet the goal, I need to walk 5.70 km per day.

The rules are the same.  Half of my km's each day can come from everyday walking (2.85 km), the other 2.85 km must come from exercise.  As I mentioned earlier, I am already behind, having not done any extra exercise....so I have about 25 km to catch up on.  Gotta get on that NOW!

Julie also had me promise to show pictures of my progress.  I will figure it out this time for sure!

So, are you wondering how we came up with the locations?  We pondered a few different places.  One of the the ideas I had in my mind was to walk the length of the Great Wall of China, until I did some research and discovered that it's almost 9000 km long!  I wasn't looking for a challenge to last that long.  Others were too short or not interesting enough.  For me, the destination was not really important, it was the journey and motivation to move every day.  I left the ultimate decision up to the navigator and this was what she came up with.

While I haven't asked her directly, I am assuming our locations are inspired by my favorite show, one I have gotten her hooked onto as well.



I'll explain further...

The main bad guy is named Crowley, he is also The King Of Hell.  


He's the character that you love AND hate all at the same time!

So, I'm going to pop on my Supernatural play list and head on out down the road.  Catch up with ya'll in a few weeks!


2 comments:

  1. Ahhhh OMG Love Supernatural and especially Dean Winchester! <3 You gotta go with a lot of power rock for this road trip!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck on your travels! I'm thinking of trying a destination thing when I get back to my elliptical, and walking of course when the weather co-operates. I just need to get my ass up and DO SOMETHING!

    ReplyDelete