Monday, October 15, 2012

This Time I Blame My Dad!

It is pretty often that when something is wrong with how we were raised, we blame our mothers!  Mom's are the scapegoat for EVERYTHING!

Don't know how to do laundry?  Mom's fault!

Addicted to TV?  Mom's fault!

You get my drift and I feel perfectly valid with blaming mom's, because I am now a mom and will someday be faced with this same situation.

(Let me get things straight!  I LOVE LOVE LOVE my parents and everything said is in jest!)

Except for this next part.

I am addicted to pop! (among other things!)

My entire life, my dad drank nothing but Pepsi.  Then a number of years ago, he became diabetic.  Now, you would think that would have put the squash to pop drinking...nope, he just switched it to diet! 

My point?  I love pop too!  My husband is just as big a pop drinker and made the switch from regular to diet when my dad did.



Confession time!  Between the two of us, we can go through about 90 cans of pop in two weeks.  That is roughly 3 1/2 cans each a day.  Horrible right?  My attempts at cutting back are fairly unsuccessful, but I'm trying.  Aside from the basic consumption of this...let me also confess something else about the pop...it makes me feel horrible when I drink it...it's the aspartame in the diet...I'm sure of it.  It makes my shoulders and stomach ache and sometime a bit in my mid-back.  Common sense would make the average person stop drinking it.  That's the funny thing with addiction.  Also, I can reason myself out of it.

I am not a water drinker (I've mentioned that before)  I don't drink coffee or tea.  It's either pop or juice.  Since starting to lose weight, I vowed to myself not to DRINK my calories.  I mean, a glass of juice, milk or pop all have around 100 calories per serving.  In my mind, this has left me only with pop!  I have one first thing every morning. While everyone else is enjoying their coffee, I am sipping on soda.

So, on Wednesday, I tried something.  Everytime I wanted to go and grab a pop, I made myself have a glass of water first.  If after that glass of water I was still thirsty and wanted the pop, that would be ok. 

Guess what!  I didn't feel like I needed the pop after that.  I only had 2 that day.  One in the morning and one that evening downstairs.  It's a small victory, but a victory just the same!

1 comment:

  1. YAH!!
    Do you like the taste of lemon? If yes remind me to bring you a few of my lemon packets on Saturday. They have no aspartame or calories and make water a little more enjoyable. I too haven't gotten to drinking my 8 glasses of water a day :(

    ReplyDelete